Monday, August 17, 2009

another reason i love this country and this state

President BO came to Phoenix this morning to address the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention. But the real story was on the streets outside the downtown convention center, where the corners were packed with vocal opponents and supporters of the his health-care reform plans.






One man, who decided not to give his name, was walking around the pro-health care reform rally at 3rd and Washington streets, with a pistol on his hip, and an AR-15 (a semi-automatic assault rifle) on a strap over his shoulder.

When asked why he was armed. "Because I can do it. In Arizona, I still have some freedoms."

Two police officers were staying very close to the man. "What he is doing is perfectly legal," Detective J. Oliver, of the Phoenix police department said. "We are here to keep the peace. If we need to intervene, we will intervene at that time."




I think I may have developed a huge crush on this guy. But that's okay because I'm sure Luvpilot would approve.

27 comments:

tiburon said...

Brav to the O.

Ash said...

OK, that would have freaked me out, no matter what side he's on.

But honestly, in Texas we have concealed handgun laws, so the guy next to me in line at Target could be packing, and I would have no clue.

We got props in Dallas as well - 2 1/2 hour meeting - all polite, all listening well, quiet picketing - wonder if Brian Williams will cover that tonight?

Mikki said...

Yeah, I'm sure I would be more than a little nervous if I was the secret service, to see some guy toting that stuff around ANYWHERE in the vicinity of the pres. But, like the policeman said, he's within his rights. And thank goodness we do have some rights left! (for now, anyway)

Jamie said...

Good For him:)

Luvpilot said...

Tactical slacks and and extra mag!

Brass ones my friend, big brass ones.

tammy said...

Oh and by the way honey, this doesn't mean we need more AR's at our house. I think we're covered.

donna said...

When my parents flew into Az on Saturday, their plane was full of Veterans .

I am so thankful for our rights and freedoms. But i still would of been a little nervous if i seen a man walking around with with a pistol on his hip, and an AR-15 (a semi-automatic assault rifle) on a strap over his shoulder.

sherry said...

I think it's awesome. And I love the link in your last post. I really wanted to copy her BO socialism picture on her side bar and put it on my blog. But I don't have the cajones....

Pedaling said...

way to go arizona!
and way to make a statement, mr gun toting patriot!

Wonder Woman said...

Awesome. I heard that he was going to be down there and thought of you with a smile.

Judi said...

you go mister!!!!

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Seriously!? Wow! I'm not sure he could do that here! ♥

Mama's Makin's said...

So glad to see a post for you. It feels like forever for me. :) I keep clicking on my blog and no one has anything new! I am like dang it I have to do housework now!

I can always count on your Tammy! :) thanks.

PS I think you just like his rump. :)

Tyler, Kamry, Jaxxen, Madexx and Nixxen said...

I LOVED this Tammy! I think this man is so smart! Seriously I even had to post it to my facebook because its so true!!

Vanessa said...

I heart him too! Good for him!

Luvpilot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luvpilot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CB said...

OK I am not a pro gun person but this is AWESOME in the real sense!!

Jan said...

I am going to have to fight you for this one too :) We do have the same type of love muffins.

Way to go Patriot.....

SmilingSally said...

Freedom!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Sorry! I'm Canadian, and I see no reason why anyone would want to carry a gun to a pro health care reform rally. I agree with your right to carry weapons; but I find it extremely freaky to see someone other than law enforcement officers with a rifle over his shoulder at a peaceful rally.

tammy said...

Okay, I would've been freaked out a little on first seeing him, but it was unloaded and it makes a point. We want to keep the freedoms we have, and not have more government in our lives.

mCat said...

I think it is AWESOME!!! I prolly would have hung around him just hoping some of his cool, bold, and brave factor would rub off on me!

sandyseashells said...

I would love to be standing right next to him with my gun on my hip also!
That's our right!
That's one of things we fight for!
There is nothing to be nervous about. I carry a gun! (what good is a gun that's locked in a closet all the time?)
What would make me more nervous is if ONLY police and Government officials could do this.
Now that's something to be nervous about.
I'm Proud to be from Arizona!!
CARRY ON, AMERICANS!

Bren's Life said...

You crack me up! I bet love pilot is out looking for one of those right now!! And you might just end up having him in his Birthday suit with that strapped over his shoulder soon!!!
We saw this on the news last night & I was think "YES A Black Man that is standing up to Obama!" YES_YES_YES!!!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I heard about this and thought it was awesome! Pretty sad that it's come to this... Please let everyone know that it's okay to take away our health care and give us a crappy 2nd rate solution for the problems it already has plus all the other liberties they're trying to take away... unfortunately they're all linked together... Do these people not get it???

Loralee and the gang... said...

Hi there I am a brand-new visitor, and I have decided that I need to Follow - you see things the way I do... and I heard about this incident on the news. NOT ONE MENTION was made about the man being black. In this case, that's pretty significant, don't you think?
:~D