Everyone told me, you gotta let them cry it out.
You can't sleep with them, you're setting up bad habits.
I listened,
then I did what I wanted and what I needed to get my boys to sleep when they were babies.
Setting a mattress on the floor next to my bed so little Taylor could feel close to me, then cuddling with Connor in his bed when he was ready to progress from the crib.
Do they have issues now?
If you call still liking to share a room with each other, and Connor still loving to have mom cuddle with him an issue, then yes, they have issues.
But I have great memories. Warm cuddles, giggles in the dark, conversations with my boys that we may not have had otherwise if I hadn't have taken the time, or if I would have been more strict about them falling asleep on their own.
At first it was desperation. Now I just treasure it because I know it won't last forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


37 comments:
So needed this today!!
i love the relationship you have with your boys. even as they grow up, it's still tender.
I agree wholeheartedly - as you know, they are gone in a blink so we have to do what we think is best not what the "experts" say - what do they know anyway? They got nothing on a Mother!
It's all about perspective. I ruined Gigantor and it's borderline with Birdie. But I whole-heartedly agree with you about it not lasting forever...
Very sweet...
You are so right. A mother's heart just knows what her children need...
This is a good reminder to listen to your heart. There are so many times when I want to do something I think is right for my kids and a little voice tells me "they'll be jacked up if you don't do it this way..." A mother knows what's best for her kids!
Just proves that the old saying, "Mother knows best" is TRUE!!
It's wonderful when your boys still want you to cuddle them!
And I agree with the last commentor -A Mother always knows her children the best!
We are on the same page on this one. I still have nights I will find Ham sleeping on the floor next to my bed. For some reason it give me comfort that when they were scared or lonely they come to me for comfort.
I was the same way with mine and they are all snugglers...:) I am so glad I didnt listen!
that's a tough call for each mom to have to make.
I used to rock all my babies to sleep, yes it took a little extra time, but nothing was more wonderful to me then watching them fall asleep in my arms.
I love rocking chairs to this day.
AND, I have my 4th childs rocking chair still in my living room right now. An old fashioned wood things.
I picked it out when I was pregnant with him.
yes, wonderful memories....just like yours.
Do Connor's eyelashes hit you in the face when you are cuddling? :)
I think if they need comfort they need comfort.
They do grow out of it and way too soon.
I let my boys in our bed from day one. They decided when they didn't want/need it anymore.
I like to think they are well adjusted men. And even Corbin once at about 20 years old - after finding out his wife had cheated cried his heart out in my bed until he fell asleep. They never get too old for their Mom's and I wouldn't have it any other way
ditto! We did the same. No point in letting them scream it out in my opinion. When a good cuddle brings peace. My girls still camp out in each others bedrooms. My youngest loves to cuddle still. I would not change a thing. Those are some of my most precious memories with my oldest.
I wish I had a *like* button to push.
I love those quiet moments with my Children, I think spending that time with them makes them more secure and trusting.
I love cuddling with my kids. I agree with you. It won't last forever and it is going too fast. Take all of the cuddles that you can!
Amen! I agree!! And if there is a bay anywhere around me I will rock it to sleep! I love rocking babies and rocked mine until they were 3 or so years old. I think it did more for me than them. I could rock them to sleep in about ten minutes or they could scream in their beds for 45 mins. It was a no brainer! I just had the two boys and they shared a room until they were 12 and 10 years old. Then even when they did have their own room I would find one or the other in the room with their brother asleep on the floor beside them. Always touched my heart.
All families are different and what ever works is the way to go! Thanks for the memories today.
Exactly.
amen to that! I rock my baby to sleep when I want too. When I can't (cause I gotta get something done) I don't. He is only partially traumatized. (jk) I love those moments I do have with all my kids and wish there was more time for more. . .
maybe I should get my butt off this blog. . . :)
I have been totally doing this with the twins, probably because this is my last chance, but still I LOVE just going in and rocking them, pulling them out of their crib and letting them sleep in my arms. Love this post!
That is very sweet. I like those kinds of "issues."
I did the same thing with McCoy and with The Girls. Best decision I could have made.
You have luck boys :)
You and me both! I have never regretted for one moment the nights I let the kids crawl in bed for a time or the many nights I laid down with them in their beds. Or the many nights the whole family fell asleep in mom and dads bed all cuddled up in the middle wrapped all around each other.
At the time it was probably more desperation for sleep, but in the end it was priceless!
Kristin
It won't last forever...
So sweet! You are one smart cookie Tammy!
Where are you? lol I am stopping in to say Good Morning...I hope your day is filled with a lot of fun and maybe some AZ sun...I miss that sun...BTW, I just noticed your cute quote about followers to the right...Love it...(Im not sure why, but these people follow me)lol They follow you because you have great stuff to say...and your down to earth and adorable too...
Xo, Meme
It's a sad day when the babies no longer need to be rocked or want to be rocked to sleep. Many a night I had a little one either sleeping with us or on the floor by the bed. They're all grown now and SEEM to be well adjusted.
I think this is just terrific. We worry too much about what we should and shouldn't do as parents instead of concentrating on what feels right.
I agree! They are only little once and each mom needs to find what works for her situation. I just do what feels right...
Sandy
Amen! I needed to hear that- we have had 3 little ones end up in our bed this week. Thank goodness I have a kingsized bed. I co-slept with all of them when they were babies and I wouldn't trade a minute of it- or a minute of sleep I got because of it. No one else in my family co-slept and they let their kids cry it out. They don't have the relationship of trust or caring that we have with our kids. Interesting.
Your boys love you. Whatever you did--worked!!!
It is so refreshing to hear someone admit to doing things the "wrong" way. I am the same way and do what I need to do for myself and my girls! Thanks! And we just wanted to let you know that we have a new free blog animation site that we think you might like called blogamation.com!
Thanks,
TCBOTB
oh..this made me feel sooo much better about taylor-austyn's sleeping habits :)
I agree! And my kids all transitioned to sleeping on their own when the next one came along. Well, except my baby. He's 7 and a half. He will still sometimes (usually) crawl into bed in the middle of the night with us.
Still wouldn't change a thing.
Post a Comment