Saturday, August 8, 2009

kilo: 2000 ~ 8/8/2009

You will be missed...





Even though it took me awhile to forgive you for eating the leg off my Grandma's table I inherited.....and the corner of my armoire.....and all of my geraniums, I know those were just puppy things and you quickly became a huge part of our family and softened even my heart.

Always protective and always watchful, we felt safer with you around.

You always wanted to please, and were really just a huge marshmallow at heart.

Everyone that saw you fell in love with you.

You were the only lab we knew that didn't like the water. You didn't want to swim and would cower and run away if someone had the hose on.

You would get as excited as the boys would when Grandma would come over because you knew you'd get lots of attention and treats from her.

You loved piano music and would come lay by the piano whenever I played.

You missed Luvpilot when he was gone, and would wait at night by the door for him to come home, and always brought him a shoe or whatever you could find.

You were so big that we joked you were half of our food storage if we ever needed it.

You loved us. Unconditionally.

Even in your last hours when you were in so much pain and couldn't get up, your tail was wagging and you were so happy to see us.

I always cursed the dog hair I'd find around, but now I will miss it.

You were a huge part of our family buddy, and we will miss you.

40 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

You made me cry.

What a cute furbaby...what happened?!

tammy said...

Sorry I made you cry Scrappy.

He was old and he hurt his leg this week and couldn't walk anymore. So since he was in so much pain, and 140 pounds (thanks to a thyroid problem) making it so we couldn't lift him to take him outside to do his business, we decided it was time for him to be put down. Broke.my.heart.

Scrappy Girl said...

I am so sorry Tammy! {{Hugs}} to you and your family.

Lene said...

I am so sorry. This post made me cry. We have an old bull mastiff and I dread that a day like this is coming.

Justin said...

Dang. I'm sorry to hear about this.

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

I'm so sorry. It hurts, I know. ♥

Maria said...

Sorry to hear about your pooch. I know they are like another kid. {{Hugss}}.

Rebecca said...

I am so sorry for your loss. One of the hardest, right decisions to make in life.

Prayers for your whole family.

CB said...

Ohhhhh I too am sorry! Dogs do become part of the family in a big way.
I can tell he will be missed.

Kristina P. said...

What a sad decision! I'm sorry for your loss, Tammy. He sounded wonderful.

onehm said...

awwwww....so sorry Tammy!

Doesn't it just break your heart when they are still looking at you and wagging that tail right up to the end?? :(

Big hugs from the dog lovers here at our house.

mCat said...

It's so hard to see them in pain, and even harder to make the decision.

Big tears and hugs from me to you!

Devri said...

How sad Tammy So sorry to hear this. What a great friend to put him out of his pain though! hugs over here too!

Gram said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oops-i-daisy, i was helping my ma and was signed in under her name;
let's try again....

that is sad.
i really don't want to have to do that, someday.
sorry.

sheila

Anonymous said...

That just breaks my heart. Im SO sorry..that has got to be the hardest thing to go through..Im gonna cry!

kado! said...

I don't even like dogs...and that made me sad......what a sad part of life!!!!!

Cam said...

sob sob, I am crying. I'm sorry about Kilo. Dogs are the best.

Vanessa said...

I'm so glad I got to meet him before he passed. I love labs, they are my favorite.

I feel bad I called him a seal, especially since he didn't like water. I really just wanted to lay down and cuddle with him.

You will be missed, Kilo!

SmilingSally said...

I have lost a wonderful dog too, so I understand the heart break.

Lillian J. Banks said...

oh boy, I am not looking forward to the day when our dog won't be around- *hugs* how are the kids??

Ash said...

I'm so, so sorry Tammy.

Jan said...

This wasn't fun to find out Tammy. Sorry about your dog. But he is with Bentley now. I just know it. They are waiting together.

Even though they can be a pain sometimes, they do leave behind a ball for of memories. Give your boys a hug.

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about Kilo. I love your poem. It made me stop to think about when we put our Golden Retriver, Zeke, 2/13/2008. As much as I cursed the 4-legged creature, I bawled like a baby when we buried him.

To this day we talk of him. No, it's not about the times he would run away for hours (not being able to find him), it was always the moments we would spend as a family with him.

Remind yourselves of those moments and you will soon forget the legs on the antiques.

Again, I am sorry.

Nicole said...

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Missy said...

I am so sorry! He was beautiful~

~Lori said...

Sorry Tam!! I am not even a dog lover, but this made me cry for you. :)

Jamie said...

Oh, I am soo sorry! Cute little things really do become a part of the family.

Tristan said...

:(..so sorry.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I'm so sorry, Tammy. He has been a part of your family for a long time. I know I will be so sad when our little dog dies. You will probably feel his shadow for a long time, following you all around. sad. I love dogs.

Mikki said...

I'm so sorry Tammy. What a sweet, sweet boy.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful lab, I am so sorry for your loss. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest things I've ever done. You're in my thoughts! {Hugs}.

Jen said...

Oh man, your post reminded me of Marley & Me and I cried for you! What a heartache to make such a decision for a life-long friend. I feel for you and your family. Hugs.

Heather said...

Oh Tammy - that is so sad!
I bet your boys are having a hard time right now!

That was the sweetest Post!
choked me up!

raising4boys said...

Sorry to hear. Even though I'm allergic to dogs and we don't have a family pet, I can only image it's like losing a family member. I hope your boys are handling it okay.

Kaylynn said...

Beautiful dog, beautiful post.

tiki_lady said...

Tammy we have gone through what you and your boys are going through. He is better off. YOu did the right thing. we too had to put our dog of 13 years down. I cursed the same things but ours was such a good companion. YOu will miss him and certain things will remind you and the boys of him.
It took us 3 years to allow another pet to enter our hearts. But, enjoy a hair free home. because now that we have another beast in the house, i am sweeping constantly!

tiburon said...

I am sorry! :(

I know how rough it is to put a dog down.

Seems like you have some good memories :)

Laynee said...

So heartbreaking!!!:(

Andrea said...

I'm just now catching up on your blog. Awww I'm so sorry about your sweet little furry friend. That's so hard & they really are part of the family. ((hugs))

p.s. our black lab mixes don't like the water either & we also joke that our bigger dog would probably be very tasty if we ever completely ran out of food. hee hee