Tuesday, August 11, 2009

just curious

Does it bug you when your real life friends don't comment on your blog, but you know they're reading it?

What about when you see their comments on other friends' blogs?


Here's my answer (since you asked Kristina M). I get that everyone is busy and sometimes you just don't have anything to say. Sometimes when I get to Kristina P's blog and there are 208 comments already, there is nothing I can think of to say that hasn't been said. But what bugs me is when a friend in real life who I see in real life, isn't commenting but is commenting on all of our other friends' blogs. That makes me feel bad. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

{p.s. thanks for all the kind words regarding the loss of our dog}

39 comments:

tiburon said...

Totally.

Makes me nuts.

Mama's Makin's said...

It only bugs me to know that there are people who read my blog and NEVER comment. So I didn't even know that some people are reading it. :) I don't have as loyal of a following as you Tammy. So I get like 3 comments usually, which is fine. Just makes me feel like I talk to myself sometimes! But I mean HELLO, if you NEVER make a comment, and are reading my blog, that is like stocking me. :)

YOu are great at commenting on my blog tammy, thanks. ;) I always read yours and comment 50/50. but am I a "real life friend"? lol. :)

mCat said...

Totally. And even family that I know reads and doesn't comment. Whatev!

I guess it goes back to, I do it for me, so if no one ever comments, I should be okay with it. One day, I'll be okay with it

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

No, doesn't bother me at all. But then, I mostly hope to meet new friends through my blog. So when my bloggie friends comment, it gives a little more insight into who may be a "kindred spirit" so-to-speak.

Pedaling said...

i used to.
not so much any more.
it does kind of bug, though, when it's family not commenting.

Heather said...

When my family doesn't comment that is what sets me off! Because they will tell me that they are on my blog all of the time - so what does it take to leave a quick comment? Especially when I make sure to comment on their blogs!

Vanessa said...

The conversations usually go like this:

Friend/Family "I saw such and such on your blog! That was so funny!"

Me: "So why didn't you leave a comment?"

F/F: "I don't know. I saw that you already had 20 comments so I figured you wouldn't even notice."

Me: "I treasure and cherish each commment."

Yes. Bugs. Beyond belief.

Ash said...

Yes, drives me nuts. Especially when I receive a snarking comment IRL about one of my political posts - makes me sorry I invited a couple. But honestly, it's made me shed a new light on some old relationships. I'm not the devil, I have an opinion - friends are supposed to appreciate and respect that, right?

onehm said...

It used to! That is one reason I started turning the comments off on a lot of my posts.
I'm sure it sounds crazy to some, but I was really basing some of my self-worth on whether or not I got "enough" comments on my blog posts. UGH. It sounds so pathetic as I write it here.
I hope you know how much I love all your posts, even if I don't comment on all your posts. ;)

Lillian J. Banks said...

I just tell myself that not everyone has the intellect to push the 'comment' button and to form a sentence ;)

(and then I have to admit to myself that I don't always comment- especially if I blog hopping one handed because of a baby or toddler)

Anonymous said...

Totally. Especially when in conversation and it comes up and they are the ones that brought it up!

Jamie said...

NOPE, Sometimmes I want to comment and I get interrupted(imagine that)or I can not think of anything to say that has not all ready been said. So because I am not always the best at commenting it is really not fair for me to even consider getting my feelings hurt if some one does not comment. I enjoy comments though, and love it when I get them:)

Justin said...

No. Doesn't bug me, and this is why:

1) I have no real life friends that read my blog(s). They're all imaginary, I guess.

2) The only person that really reads my blog(s) is you, and you always make at least one comment, so I feel validated.

I can imagine that it might bug though...

Lene said...

I am a comment whore...that is all.

Annette Lyon said...

Drives me crazy. Especially when I start telling them something, and they go, "Oh, yeah. I read it on your blog."

If they'd just commented, I'd KNOWN they already knew, and I wouldn't have looked like a dork. Just comment already!

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of this, I don't always comment on my friends blogs, for various reasons but none are personal, sometimes I just wait until I see them and then I mention their blog post and then I comment on it, I don't know why I do this, I didn't realize it was more important to leave a comment :). I can tell you whats worse, when your family reads your blog and doesn't comment but they read YOUR friends blogs and comment, it also happens to me on FB.

Kristina P. said...

Not anymore. My real friends and family stopped commenting a long time ago, which is pretty common from the other bloggers I talked to with a large stranger following.

I actually am more bothered by it with bloggy friends! If I see someone commenting all over blog land, who hasn't been to my blog in forever, I always wonder if I offended them. It's not a jealousy thing, more of Did I Do Something Wrong?

And I know people don't think I notice, with how many comments I get, and sometimes I may not for a couple of weeks, but I do.

Devri said...

I am with Kristina, it bugs me that I did something wrong to offend, other bloggy people, not so much my family and real life friends. Their just jelous! jk

I have a few bloggiesI met in real life, and they stopped reading my blog.. lol can't wait for the next meet and greet! I probably offended them, or I am just too boring! lol

Jen said...

My real life family doesn't comment :) And I sometimes wonder if real life friends know how to leave comments on blogs. But it would totally bother me if they leave comments on other friends' blogs and not my own. Since I've gone private, I've "lost" a lot of friends and I've come to know the meaning of loyalty and true friendship. Thanks for yours!

Sher said...

I'm Ok if they don't comment, sometimes, because I know sometimes you just don't have anything to say. I don't comment all the time.

but, it does bug me when I see their comments on others' blogs the same day they visited mine and didn't comment.

CB said...

It used to bug me. It is family too. They all read and never comment.
What I think is funny is when they start a blog. For instance my step-mom (who I adore) started a blog last week. She sends out a group e-mail everytime she posts because she wants comments - ha ha. I think they "get it" when they get their own blogs.
I did have a good friend tell me that she hesitates to comment anymore because she feels like I already have enough comments. She said she hates it when she gets to my blog and there are already 20 comments because she feels like everything has already been said.
I bet alot of people feel that way.

Oh well.

Rebecca said...

I do wish they'd comment - I'm much better when I have time to think through a response than on the spot, so I get very uncomfortable when someone IRL brings up a blog post that they read but didn't necessarily comment on. It throws me off as to how they know what is going on in my life.

kado! said...

YES!!!!! It so bugs me!!!!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Uhhhh yeah!!! Especially when you comment religiously! Very frustrating! I find that I just stop commenting on their also! Rude I know but really... It's a 2 way street!

raising4boys said...

TOTALLY!! And then when they run into they will say "I heard...." spooks me to think they are reading without me knowing.

Anonymous said...

Kristina: I might comment on your blog a little more, but I get tired of Snuggie posts, celebrity bash posts and you trying out the mail order as seen on TV items. How about some posts about yourself?

Wonder Woman said...

Um, not sure why you got an anon. comment directed to Kristina. Weird.

Sometimes it bothers me.....other times not. Mostly because I've become a half-hearted commenter. (I wish I could use the other term without swearing. So much more appropriate.) I only comment when I have something worthwhile, or at least humorous, to say. My mom has become better at commenting because I kind of gave her a hard time about it, but she's the only family member who reads my blog and actually comments. And I know the others do. Same thing with people in "real" life. We've just become mutual stalkers, and I guess I'm okay with that.

Cam said...

Yes it does bug me. I hardly ever get comments anymore. But I don't have as many blogger friends as you do. I get alot more response on Facebook, that's probably why I use it more. But honestly, you are the only blog I do make comments on.

sherry said...

I try not to think about it. For instance, I have a huge family, and none of them ever comment. Husband's family either. But they don't really comment on anybody else's blogs either. I just stop commenting on theirs.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i{{heart}}you and your blog even though i never comment. do you forgive me

CoLiE-O said...

yes! it totally bugs. i just found out that a bunc of my friends and family read my blog but NEVER comment. hm.

Crazymamaof6 said...

yeah sorry! i suck. it's kinda hard to want to when you've got 31 comments before me.

BUT. i totally get it i hate it too. and have the same problem. i've taken to not commenting on almost everyone. which sucks on my part.

so here you go.
commenting.

it was fun to see ya at lunch the other day. bummer we didn't get to sit together.

we'll have to go again.soon. with no kids maybe? i could swing that certain days of the week now. HEEE HEE! giddy!

Crazymamaof6 said...

and i just scrolled and read the couple from people i actually know. and have to say ditto with both Ashley and Jamie. because i used to base my worth off how many comments i got, but when i stopped commenting, my comments stopped rolling in. now since i don't comment much i figure if people have something to say, they will. and can't hold it against people because they didn't have anything to say on certain posts.

i now base my worth off my hits for the day. pathetic i know.
but satisfying if i don't compare myself to others.

but certain people no matter what if they read and don't comment it bugs. like a couple friends. or relatives. just because they read daily, report to others on it. and yet think i don't know they are reading. when i know they are.

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Interesting question! I know I have a lot of friends and family members who read my blog and don't comment. It's their way of keeping up.

My main purpose in blogging is more for me ~ not for others. It's a way for me to journal, and I do want to bind into a book one day for my kids. Daughter blogs and is so glad I blog. She said it really pleases her that I'm preserving some bits and pieces of history. ♥

It troubles me that I cannot commit to daily blogging or commenting because of my work.

Cynthia said...

I think it's kinda creepy to read and run. Sorta like walking into someone's house without letting them know you're there. EVEN IF you have permission to do so, it's nice every now and then to knock/comment.

I've been surprised sometimes when someone I know IRL says "Oh yeah, I read about that on your blog" and I didn't even know they KNEW I had a blog!

I always comment on my sister's blog (sometimes I'm the lone commentor) and she never says a peep on mine. Weird.

Mikki said...

real life friends? Am I supposed to have real life friends? The whole reason I blog is because I don't have any. ;P
J/K
yeah, it would definitely bother me.

Brenda said...

For some reason my family has never left a comment on my blog, only my husband will once in awhile.

I just think it's tacky to read someones blog and never leave a comment regardless if your family, friends or fellow bloggers.

Jen said...

Hopefully my emails count as comments ;)! LOL I noticed that the other day instead of coming over from google reader to comment I immediately emailed you my comment instead. I know I am horrible about commenting, for me it is dependant upon my mood. If I am feeling down I don't comment at all, even if I do post on my own blog, I still don't comment, it deals with feeling like I have something "worthwhile" to say. I do try to make an effort though with friends to pop on and actually comment from time to time so that they don't feel like I am dropping them. For me now since I don't blog as much it doesn't bother me and since I don't comment I have considered just turning mine off all together. Hmmm can you say that I am hormonal right now?

Jen said...

wanted to add, as for not commenting ever, yeah I do that too, but I figure either A) the person's blog I am looking at won't remember me (if we know/knew each other) and will think I am stupid, or B)just think I am stupid, I feel dumb leaving a comment on someone's blog I don't know, even though I don't care if people I don't know comment on mine, I still feel stupid going back to theirs and commenting, it's a self esteem/comfort zone thing for me. I don't not comment to be rude.