Saturday, October 24, 2009

the best ever sugar cookies...

Really they are. Unless you don't like a cookie that stays soft even from the freezer and melts in your mouth when you eat it. (And I know I've posted this before, but a friend wanted it again)


Sour Cream Sugar Cookie

3 eggs
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. margarine
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1-3/4 c. granulated sugar
5 c. flour

Cream shortening, margarine and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy. Add salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla. Mix. Add flour a cup at a time, alternating with spoonfuls of sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Chill dough for 2 hours, or even overnight. Roll on floured surface and cut into desired shapes. Bake @ 375 for 6-8 minutes, depending on size of cookie. Do not let cookies get brown or they will be crunchy instead of soft (I hate that!). Cool then frost.


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla (my secret is to substitute almond extract and a little cherry extract)
3-4 c. powdered sugar, maybe more
desired food coloring & colored sugars/sprinkles


Mix. Spread thickly on cooled cookies. *Note - this is not an icing, so not the best to decorate with. It is however, the yummiest to eat.





24 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

They look YUMMY!!!

Pedaling said...

i love sugar cookies. :(

CB said...

Looks Yummy! I kind of collect Sugar Cookie recipes. Have several that I consider superb but they all taste a little different. I will give this one a whirl - I like the sour cream part!

Cynthia said...

I think I've had these before and they are awesome!

Unknown said...

I have been looking for cookies that can freeze and still come out soft~~

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Yummy! Thanks for Sharing!

Jamie said...

Why do you live so far away????

Scrappy Girl said...

Last night after the community Halloween party I came home and sat at the computer...I saw this post's title in my sidebar and totally cracked up...I even called my MIL.

We had been sitting with some people who were gushing about sugar cookies their grandma had made to donate to the event. They made us all taste because these were THE BEST SUGAR COOKIES EVER! They were ok...but so not even close to the best. They went on and on...it was annoying. I will have to make your recipe so I can open up their minds to other cookies...lol.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Ooooh I need to try these. Thanks Tammy!

Justin said...

I have had these before and they rock! Maybe if I eat a bunch of these it will help me forget the pain of being at the BYU game last night.

I like to self-medicate with cookies.

Or cupcakes.

Or pie.

When can we visit you again?

rad6 said...

I have used this same recipe for years... I love the sour cream in them and the soft yumminess. Unfortunately I eat way too many of them when I make them.
YUM

Andrea said...

Mmmm those look delicious! I have a recipe similar to this. I think the sour cream makes them soooo soft! I haven't made cream cheese frosting for them though. That sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Martha H. said...

There's nothing like a good sugar cookie. Those look delectible.

mCat said...

mmmmmmmmm......Cookies.....

lauramschmid said...

I was just blog hopping and wanted to say "hi". Hope all is well with you and your family. I really miss being in Bunko with you and everybody else. I'm glad I can keep up with everybody via blogs. Maybe someday I will update my own:) Happy Halloween!!!

Laura

kado! said...

reason #104 that i miss those yummy foods...i trust you that they are so yumm-o!

...i'll have to whip a batch up for the kids!

Missy said...

Oh My! This is not diet cookies!~

Mikki said...

Yummy!!!
Hmmmm, I need to pull out my cookie cutter....

Kaylynn said...

Looks, so yummy! I can't decorate cookies, so this is the perfect kind of frosting for me!

Maria said...

I'm feeling kinda lazy. Could you just mail me some? hehe

Maria said...

I'm feeling kinda lazy. Could you just mail me some? hehe

Lene said...

Yeah...what Vanessa said!

raising4boys said...

Mmmm! I should make some sugar cookies. I have sour cream in my fridge :)

Nikki said...

I think this sour cream sugar cookie recipe is the best! I have made these before. I found a recipe online that was bar sugar cookies. I haven't tried it yet, but my lazy butt thought it would be just as easy to cut out the cookies into shapes after. Your house looks so cute...I peeked at your pics on fb! :)N