Tuesday, November 10, 2009

hypothetical question

So if you had a child that was up in the night, not able to sleep because of coughing, who wasn't really sick and felt fine but woke up really really tired this morning, would you?:

a) let him stay home even though school was dismissed yesterday due to no electricity, and there was no school tomorrow due to a holiday.

b) tell him he'll be fine and send him out the door.

c) fuel him with caffeine and/or sugar so he's awake and happy before sending him off.

d) some other option

28 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I would send him to school wearing a full surgical mask. How awesome would that be?

onehm said...

Today is my only day off all month...I'd totally send them. I'm mean that way. ;)

Justin said...

E) All of the above.

Vanessa said...

I would send him. But I'm kind of mean.

Sue said...

probably a..I'd keep him home.

Scrappy Girl said...

I would totally keep him home! Cool...a spontaneous 5 day weekend...sweet!

Pedaling said...

i would do B
boo actually said she was dizzy this morning.
and i did b
adding,
if you start to feel like you are going to throw up- you can call me- but try not to have to call me.

she said okay.

Lene said...

Not so hypothetical in my case. The funeral was yesterday and the kids have been up late all weekend and tomorrow is a holiday, so I let everyone stay home.

But usually school wins out.

Nikki said...

Depends on the kid. My kid I would let stay home because I only have one and he is so fun to hang out with hahaha!! But some kids need a little butt kick out the door to take care of any wimp drama factors. But I would let my son stay home!! :)N

donna said...

stay home!

Lillian J. Banks said...

stay home- and help me clean the house :) (actually I LOVE having my kids home and I hate sending them to school everyday- but my daughter would choose school over home- crazy kid)

Bren's Life said...

probably let him stay home..What did you do?

Mikki said...

I'd probably do (c) fuel 'em up with the sugar and caffeine. Then two hours later the school nurse would probably call me to come pick my kid up and oh yeah, bring an extra outfit cause she just barfed all over the place.
Maybe I should try going for option a next time? What's one more day missed anyway?

CB said...

I would definately keep him home and take him out later for a Hot Fudge Sundae!

Pedaling said...

uhhmmmm, scratch my previous comment...

boo called me
i came
took her temp with the offices handy new temp taker that you slide across her forehead....103 temp...dizzy and a bit of puking....

ooops.

Mama's Makin's said...

Well, tammy, we all know what you did. :) Not cause your boys TOTALLy know how to work you or anything ! ;)

Personally, I would MAKE them go IF i thought they were TRYING to get out of school.

If they were begging - they would have to go.

IF I OFFERED it to them first, so I knew they weren't trying to ditch - I would let them stay home. :) But the days of before and after would kinda make me go - WHY NOT. :)

mCat said...

The old me? The younger mom me? Totally would have let the kid stay home and we would have played (after he napped to get his sleep of course)

Now on this end? Totally would have jacked that sob up on a Monster and kicked his a** out the door to school.

I'm not mean, I'm smarter now.

Kim said...

Send them to school!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I'd keep him home! Why bother and if he's that tired??? :)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Considering the fact that there had been no school the day before, and wouldn't be the following...if he wasn't missing anything important, I would keep him home!

Suzie said...

Elementary school? A
Jr High or HS? B

depending on which child, too.
Hypethetically, I have a child who talks excessively and makes me tired when I'm with her all day.

alpinekleins said...

The answer would be it depends. How's that? On how old they are, what their grades look like in school, how dependable are they are making up work?

How annoying of me huh? I usually let my kids call the shots about whether they were too sick to go to school. I guess I was lucky they all did great and didn't abuse it . . .

Kristin

Judi said...

I would do A and then do B for myself, because I would have been up all night listening to him!

The Murray Family said...

I would send him off to school and tell him that if he starts to feel really bad....then call me and I will come and get him but he has to at least try to stay for 2-3 periods....9 times out of 10 he stays at school :o)

Da Bergs said...

YOU didnt say what grade!!! Depends... HS, GO! middle school...hummm, I would have to think on that one. k-5, let him stay home! WHAT DID YOU DO???

kado! said...

i have learned my lesson...the nurse usually calls you 2 hours later and makes you come pick him up...so I'd keep him home! ;) (or so I've heard....)

Krista said...

in response to my moms comment (pedaling)
b is the youngest. i am the oldest and would've been sent to school.
maybe not really. i don't remember ever staying home.
my 1 1/2 yr old has the same thing..and as i type at 9:30 pm, he is sitting here beside me. anything i can give him? so we both can sleep?

Missy said...

Keep him home! He is brilliant and will catch up!