Monday, January 2, 2012

{survival and blessed}

Those were the two words that automatically came to mind when thinking of the past year.  Especially when Luvpilot mentioned that in his medical reports from earlier in the year it said "aborted sudden cardiac death".  I think I missed that when I was reading through them.  Aborted sudden cardiac death.  He was certain to die if so many things hadn't happened to prevent it.  He survived.  I can't help but be reminded of all the miracles and blessings that came into play then and in those months following.

Like how we had to survive the six months of him not being able to work.  Financially we ended up being okay and that was a huge blessing!  Decisions that were made eight years ago came into play here and really helped us survive and get through.  A huge blessing.

Not only did we have to survive financially, but also emotionally and mentally.  Ever spent six months with your spouse when he can't do the thing that he loves most?  Add in that they could find no reason for his sudden issue - no blockage, no heart disease, no high cholesterol, no electrical issues, no history etc., there was literally no reason he couldn't be flying other than FAA rules.  That could've made for a very depressed husband and wife, but we survived all that togetherness and without antidepressants or heavy drinking. 

We also had to survive me being primary president.  It's actually turned into one of my favorite callings ever.  I love the children and have grown to love so many of our ward members as I've gotten to know them and serve with them - people I probably wouldn't otherwise have gotten to know as well.  I know this was the calling I needed.

I was also thinking how blessed we were that these were our only trials this year.  A recent convert to the LDS Church, who also recently moved here from Africa, spoke briefly in church right before Christmas.  He recalled how when his youngest son was born a few years earlier, they were in hiding in the jungles of Africa and didn't even know if his son would live through the diseases and mosquitoes.  Each one of us is blessed to live where we live.  Can you imagine living in the jungle with three kids and a newborn, worried for their safety?   He sang Count Your Many Blessings in his native tongue after telling his story, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one with tears in their eyes.

A lot of trials, but a lot of blessings, some of which we would not have seen if it weren't for the trials.  Funny how that works, huh?

It was a hard year, but also a good year.  I would say bring on 2012, but I'd rather say go easy on us 2012.

17 comments:

Jamie said...

You have had quite a year. I am glad Luvpilot is flying, that he is well and working again. That kind of stress puts you over the edge. I can not imagine being the primary president, but I know you are a great one. Here's to a less eventful year!

Vanessa said...

I know you are not sad to see 2011 go.

I am glad that things have worked out after 6 months of hell.

CB said...

You guys have been through alot this year. And 1/2 the time some of us didn't even know and you kept a cheerful and stiff upper lip.
So glad things are going good now and I wish you a very Happy and Healthy 2012!

Jen said...

Wonderful post! Those blessings will stay with you forever, it is amazing to see and feel Heavenly Fathers hand in your own life. I am so glad that you survived it all and can see the blessings that came of it, it is hard sometimes! Hope that 2012 is easier on all of us!

Lene said...

Those years that contain the trials often turn into years that contain the blessings. I am glad you all made it through 2011 and look forward to a wonderful 2012.

brandy said...

I can totally relate to most of this post....except the Primary President stuff (you deserve a place in heaven just for that my friend.) It's amazing how life contains so many blessing through a hard trial.

Here's to a less eventful 2012!

Saimi said...

You have such a wonderful outlook and positive attitude it's no wonder you were able to handle your tough trials with faith and trust.

what an example you are!!

Here's to a brand new year!!

Mikki said...

oh yes, 2012---please go easy on all of us!
You have had quite the year Tammy. I'm so glad Luvpilot came through his scare. I can't even imagine what a rough road it was for you guys this year. I hope 2012 is really easy on you guys this year.

Opposition in all things right? How would we know the sweet without the bitter?

Sue said...

2011 was a trying year for many of us. Many miracles too. You hung in there and had a great attitude. Glad things turned out for you and your family.

I hope 2012 is kinder, softer and not so intense. But if not....I'll sure be blogging about it.

Pedaling said...

sometimes looking back hard can be good, just like you said.

I've never been in the Primary Pres. It's always looked very busy and kinda hard to me. I can see how you would like it and how you would get attached to and love the kids so much.

I hope 2012 is a good year that goes a little easy on you!

Happy New Year!

Heather said...

So perfectly written - Tammy! Trials really are what help us look at the good things in our life with more appreciation and joy! It is so hard to go through the trials but I am always glad to look back like you do and realize how much there is to be thankful for!
Happy 2012!

Just SO said...

There are so many blessings in our lives. What a wonderful post about yours from the past year. I hope 2012 takes it easy on you as well.

Connie said...

When things are going bad, it seems we can always find someone who has it so much worse than us.
Heart issues are very scary, especially when there seems to be no reason for it! What a scare!

I'm glad you made it through and looking forward to 2012. I think we're all holding our breath just a little about this next year.

Amanda said...

6 months is a lot of togetherness. Sometimes 4 days does me in. :)
Seriously though...glad things worked out that he could not only return to work but that he is still around for you and your kids. Crazy how things can change in an instant.
Life is fragile!

R.M. said...

A.M. - You're an idiot.

Crazymamaof6 said...

so glad you survived it all. some years are extra hard and they make the easy years that much sweeter.

hope 2012 is a good one for you!

hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hey hi...i just go through the post. its really good one. i appreciate your work. Thank you for sharing.

MBA Colleges ranking