Monday, December 7, 2009

question of the day

Teacher gifts.

What are you doing?

or what have you seen done that is fun?


I like to do something they can really use rather than just the little knickknack which they get so many of after lots of years of teaching. A person can have only so many #1 Teacher gifts, right?



I did see a cute idea for the younger grades.

A book such as If You Give a Moose a Muffin, with a muffin mix & tin.


I've done refillable movie cups with a movie gift card and box of candy inside,
gift cards to Scholastic Books so they could choose books for their class,
gift cards to other stores where they could buy something they needed for the class or something for themselves,
custom made magnet boards & clipboards,
to name a few.


What do you think the perfect teacher gift is?


Teachers are some of the most underpaid people, in my opinion. I read on someones blog last year that this person refused to buy teachers gifts because she thinks their salary is gift enough. Agree or disagree?

31 comments:

Kaylynn said...

Your ideas sound wonderful! If you know other parents, maybe you could go in together for a day at the spa?

We should always find ways to thank those who influence our children for good, no matter how little or much they make!

Pedaling said...

OH, yes, i always gift our teachers.
especially the elementary ones who spend most of the day with our young ones.
most often it is a gift certificate to movies and or dinner with a little gift of my childs choosing.

for middle school and high school, my kids choose something for their favorite teachers.

they are way underpaid!

collette said...

I'm married to a teacher, and I'm here to tell ya...they are WAY underpaid! We divided his salary and the hours he works, and it's pathetic! If it weren't for my kiddos SS income (which who knows how long that will continue with our current administration) we wouldn't make it.

I always do teacher gifts, but like you (maybe cause we're sisters!) want them to be useful. The last couple of years I've done gift cards to Borders or Barnes and Noble. Fun for them, but they can also use them for the classroom if they choose to.

Mama's Makin's said...

I am a former teacher. :) I taught i the ghetto. So the kids didn't have much. :) You are so right about the number one teacher stuff FOR REALS. The best present I got was a pair of socks. :) The reason - one day I told the kids that most of the clothes I bought were from good will (I did then) (And I was hoping those kids who had too wouldn't be as embarrassed by it.) So the young boy told me that he told his mother he needed to get me Clothes because i "had" to shop at Good will! I am sure the mom could only afford the pair of socks. :) All of your gifts sound lovely so far. Honestly look around the next time you visit their classroom - see if you see a need - organizational or otherwise. If you don't see one - then the gift cards etc are always nice because TEACHERS ARE UNDERPAID.

I can't tell you the times I thought "I might do this" but I would have to stop myself "They don't pay me enough to do that" And that was how I was able to NOT spend HUNDREDS of hours at the school. Being a math teacher, I did the math in my head and I refused to go to college and make less than 10 bucks an hour - so I made sure I got things done quickly, simply and so my salary was at least 10 an hour. :) The stresses of teaching so many different kids is enough! :) My mom teaches - just went back to school at 50 and is 54 teaching her 2nd year - she spends 60 or more hours a week teaching - it is ridiculous cause she doesn't enjoy it as much as she could (they don't even have math books for the kids) Anyways, having said all of that, I LOVEED teaching. But I have heard many an amazing person say "I would have loved to teach - but I can't support a family on it." and unfortunately it is pretty true.

I could go on and on :) but I already did :) he he.

Crazymamaof6 said...

i FULLY DISAGREE! WTH? ok so maybe it's because my mom, aunts and sisters and even a brother are teachers and seriously barely surviving. especially if they pay daycare for kids. holy heck not even half of that salary comes home.

uh, yeah. i always teacher gift. i like something personal and useful like Bath and body works or target or whatever. I've done all different kinds.

donna said...

gift cards!

brandy said...

Underpaid is an under-statement!

They deserve so much more. I love all your ideas, especially the dinner and movie idea. Everyone needs a little break from reality now and then.

I am a big fan of gift cards. Some deem it as impersonal but I think it can be the perfect gift for someone who you don't know really really well. That way they can splurge on something they normally wouldn't buy for themselves.

michelle said...

I like giving gift cards wrapped in a cute back with card. Not to exciting, but know they will go to use. :)

Vanessa said...

I taught in the Resource Room and was often overlooked and I would drool at the amazing gifts the "regular ed" teachers would get. Granted, the kids I taught were mostly the at risk lower income and I knew the last thing they were worrying about was giving me a gift. But my meager $19,000/year income my first year was a joke. No Christmas bonus, no party. A couple candles and a gift card would have been nice.

My SIL is a Kindergarten teacher and she makes a KILLING at Christmas. She loves gift cards to ANYWHERE.

Whoever said that our salary is enough is an idiot. Can you really make it on 18 bucks an hour?? (which is what I made my SEVENTH year teaching!) And really, is it so hard for you to wrap up a little something...I mean we do babysit your kids all day long and put up with their crap, along with their ignorant parents that make stupid comments such as the one above.

thanks, I feel better.

Vanessa said...

Subscribe to comments please.

Scrappy Girl said...

I love giving teacher gifts! Manga Dork has 4 this year! Much easier when there was just one!

Jamie said...

None of mine were as good as yours, so I will just steal a few of tour ideas and leave:)

Missy said...

As a former teacher, I can tell you, teachers are very under paid. Teacher gifts at Christmas are always special. Cookie and Hot Chocolate Mixes are great along with a nice pen, etc.
Gift cards are great too!

Lene said...

It's crazy how little teachers are paid. I always do gift cards.

kado! said...

I LOVE the new header!!!

I'm the class parent in both kids classes...first year for me! So I am in charge of getting the class gift together. I'm collecting $10 from each parent and getting a gift card for the teachers and TA's...along with a basket of goodies...I just had a great thought today...I want to give them something that is really from the kids....not just stuff I put together. So I'm gonna buy a Holiday book and have the class picture put in the front...then pass the book around the class so the kids can put their name in it! That way the teacher will be able to look back long after the gift card is spent and remember the students! I thought it would be especially cute for the pre-K class where they are just learning to write their names!

I thought I'd put the book in a basket with some homemade bread, cute mug and hot cocoa mix...and the gift card.

What do you think? Good idea or bade? I need help with this topic too!

Lillian J. Banks said...

I love teachers. My dad is a teacher. He raised 6 kids on a teachers salary. I don't know how my parents did it. WE loved getting teacher gifts that he could share with us. :)

Whatever person said that a teachers salary was enough must have it even worse than we did and I pity them.
At least we were poor and/but educated. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Mikki said...

I like gift cards, that way they can pick out whatever they need or want. Sometimes it's just for Starbucks, but I think one for wallyworld is great. I agree that they are the most underpaid and no, their salary isn't gift enough--not when half the time they're spending their own money for school supplies and stuff for their classrooms.

mCat said...

Teacher gifts are a must! However, I was never creative. Big surprise. Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore!

Andrea said...

I agree. Teachers are WAY underpaid. It's so sad because they do so much for OUR kids!

I've given homemade treats, B&BW lotions/soaps, and ornaments as gifts before.

There are tons of great ideas here. Now I'll have to pick one to give to my kids' teachers.

We need to show our teachers that we appreciate them. :)

Bren's Life said...

Wow- after reading your comments. I have to say I want to do soemthing more for my kids teachers.. This year has been pretty hard financially but teachers are so worth it!
My only thought on movie tickets is. I would think a lot of parents would give them. And honestly with the way the times are do you really go to movies as much? Especially if you don't have the money for a babysitter?

tiki_lady said...

I agree that teachers work hard and are under appreciated. However, I think there are limits to expect of a teacher and their salaries reflect that.

I don't see why we think we should be able to live on a salary of a teachers pay when they work half a year. (holidays included in the half year and summers off)

Take anyone's husbands salary or wages and compute them into holidays and summers off. I am not including teacher work days because those are paid days where teachers are planning their schedules.

We have teachers making 50k and 60k, and to me that's a darn good living when you figure you get all holidays off and you get 3 months off. Do the math.

I'm not against teachers. I do believe that SOME teachers work over their pay scale and they are true teachers. I do not have an educational degree but I KNOW I can give my children a good education if I chose to home school them. ALSO divide the time that teachers aren't even teaching them. recess, lunch and free time and extra curriculars.

OK, i'm sure I'll get a some lashings for this. But really, who works 9 months out of the year and wants to get paid for a full year?

Vanessa said...

Oh Mother Goose. You just opened a serious can.

Go home school your kids then. It's ignorant parents like you that I would rather not deal with.

tiki_lady said...

Seriously, Vanessa! Do the math. Do you know the meaning of ignorance?
There are many families out there that make it on 18 dollars and hour!
Currently my husband is unemployed and we are a family of 6 with a son in college and guess what we are making it on $11 an hour and I don't have the luxury of taking the summer off or holidays, I'm hourly and not salary.
I wasn't downing teachers. I respect them. However, 60k for 9 months work is decent and THAT IS ONE SALARY most teachers have summer jobs or spouses who work! Starting teacher salaries uncertified in the state of NC is 32k, and my husband stepped out of college for 33k and we had a family of 4 and made it. Sorry, if people live in their budget they can have vacations, cruises and extras. Don't try to live like the Jones' unless you intend to stay in college and go on for a higher degree to be a principal or on the board. Education pays. The longer you stay in college the higher you can expect your pay salary.

My sil's brother is a teacher. He made it by the skin of his teeth. He made c's and d's in college. Got his teaching degree and is teaching 7th grade algebra.

I can debate without attacking others and calling names. It's one true sign of not being ignorant and being educated. I don't homeschool my children but we do supplement their education. My daughter happens to have received the 2nd highest grade on the math and english test in the state! Each of my children are a grade ahead of their ages and test 3 grades higher in reading and comprehension. My son was accepted at two of the best ivy schools in the nation, but because of our financial situation and the fact that there wasn't a football offer he did not go. WE have the PUBLIC SCHOOL district and its teachers to thank for their education and yep, I'll take the pat on the back too.

Vanessa said...

Mother Goose: Your situation is unfortunate. I'm sorry your husband is out of work. I know that is difficult being that my dad has been out of work for almost a year.

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Function: adjective

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence

No, I think I got the definition correct. You are lacking knowledge on this topic. You are not a teacher. You don't know what its like. You don't know what it is like to pour over files and lesson plans even after you come home. You don't know what it is like to sit in inservice after inservice learning how to help kids be successful. You don't know what it is like to use your OWN money (remember that $19,000 a year I made in 1997...some of that went to my new classroom) on supplies for the students you love. So, the ignorant one that doesn't know what they are talking about is you. I don't know what your profession is, but I wouldn't come to your work and tell you that you are doing it wrong...when I had no idea what I was talking about.

I'm using your words here, but maybe you or your husband should go back to school and pick a different profession your quote: "The longer you stay in college the higher you can expect your pay salary." Better yet, we need good teachers and if you are satisfied w/what they make, maybe you should become one. Heck, we only work 9 months out of the year, we get holidays off and we are home when our kids are. And one extra REALLY cool benefit is: you don't have to make your kids lunches because the Federal Government provides them for you! They consider the income that a teacher makes low enough that you would qualify for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program!! Isn't that fantastic? So if you don't get a good Christmas gift from your students, at least your kids get free lunch. That kind of makes up for it right there!

We pay our Doctor's a pile of money because of their expertise in helping us to feel better and making us well, why can't a teacher make just a little bit more since we are trusting them with our children all day? Not everyone is on the ball like you and work with their kids at home. Kudo's that you do that. Some kids have parents that don't help them. We might be their only source of educational support.

I saw what it was like to live on a small amount of money each year. My mom was a teacher. I became one because I loved to teach kids. When my husband made mention of becoming one, I helped guide him to a different decision of becoming a pharmacist because maybe I did want to go on a vacation or two (gasp!) and not suffer through life BARELY scraping by.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

And PS, I got straight A's in college. Don't compare me to your SIL's brother.

LeAnn said...

First of all what teacher makes 60k???????? I've been teaching 10 year and barley make 40. (Serious pay cut this year BTW, and will not even make that.) My grade point average was a 4.0 when I graduated from college. Any other profession, I would be making a HELL of A LOT more than I am. I HAD to live with my parents for years after getting out of college and started teaching because I wasn't paid enough to LIVE!!!! Not to mention ALL the money you put into your classroom. Who in the HELL do you think purchases the things that belong in the classroom to make it a classroom????? My first year of teaching I spent more than 2,000 dollars of my OWN money to TEACH! Regularly, (EACH YEAR)I spend 200-300 dollars (if not more) out of MY OWN POCKETS to buy things for our classroom.

PUHLEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE....we don't get paid for our time off, most teachers work two-three extra jobs during those breaks you think we have, plus WORKING ON THINGS FOR SCHOOL IN THAT TIME OFF! WTH??????????????????? are we not aloud to have a lunch break??????????????????????? Yes, we do NEED TO EAT! I barely have time to pee during the day sometimes! Yes, it is THE LAW to have scheduled breaks (that we DO NOT GET!!! Every other profession has breaks too!) and lunch break to EAT. REALLY? Do you think that we DO NOT TEACH at recess??????????? OR at lunch or during those extra activities?????? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE DOING???????? We take care of problems that occur at lunch and recess EVERY DAY! Yes, we USUALLY have Duty free lunch, that DOES NOT mean they are and that we aren't working/preparing/taking care of kids during that time. Where do we have all that FREE TIME?????? Have you ever stepped foot inside of a school????? You have got A LOT TO LEARN lady!!!!!!!!

You couldn't make it ONE day in a teachers shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try having 26 kids with different needs, behaviors, learning abilities, and all the other issues that come up in day, then have lessons to teach, tests to give and have EVERY student ON grade level as to meet the NCLB standards????

Yes, you do have public education TEACHERS to thank for your children's education. Thank a TEACHER, it is not the administration, or people who are highly paid that have made a difference for your children, it is the TEACHER who challenges them every day to grow and be at the TOP of their class. You have obviously had public servants that have not held back and limited themselves because of their salary. BE GRATEFUL...if not by giving them a small token of appreciation at Christmas time, then by NOT bashing them and saying SHIZZZZZ that you have NO CLUE about. BE GRATEFUL that they have had A HUGE part of who your child has become!!!!!!!!!!!

Money, is not the only thing holding your child back from an ivy league school, your ignorance is.

Vanessa said...

I am proud to say that LeAnn is my sister in law.

gina said...

U.S. average teacher's salaries: around $40,000. 1st year average is around $33,000. 20+ year average doesn't even hit $60,000. (Of course it's different by state)

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/All_K-12_Teachers/Salary

Their salary is lower on average than all other salaries. http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Country=United_States/Salary/by_State

I like what Kaylynn said: "We should always find ways to thank those who influence our children for good, no matter how little or much they make!"

tiki_lady said...

LOLOLOLOL, this is so funny to me. I figure because I am ignorant and ignorance is Bliss..::sigh:: life is so good!

why are you people getting so personal and amazing how jaggers and name calling comes out no matter what religion, race or creed. All because someone disagrees with an opinion. Have you know. I have substituted and I do have an early elementary teaching degree!

Come on, wipe your tears and know that of course, I understand you get paid to have lunch and go to the bathroom. Why should anyone be paid for months and work when they aren't there. Why should you be paid a full years salary when you don't work a year!
What profession out there does that?
THAT IS MY ARGUMENT!!!! I'm not saying teachers are not under paid. I think 40k a year is decent pay for 9months. It is what it is and no matter how much back lash comes back, there will be no farther comments because GOD bless the USA, I have a right to my own opinion, no matter how you feel and I feel fabulous about myself because I managed to do it with dignity and stating true facts and not stooping to calling people ignorant which seems to be a favorite word among those related.
This topic requires no farther comment from, me.

Ignorantly yours,

LeAnn said...

I find it ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS/IRONIC that, one moment, QUOTE, "I do not have an educational degree," turns into QUOTE, "I have substituted and I do have an early elementary teaching degree!" Which one is it? PLEASE STATE THE TRUE FACTS...It seems to me you DO NOT KNOW ANY FACTS!!!!!!!!! If you were a teacher and do have a degree and it is not bad pay, then please do tell why you are complaining over your 11 dollar an hour job when we are so much better off. If you have ever taught or were ever a teacher, I HIGHLY doubt you would be saying these things.

Also, one moment it is, I know I am going to take a lashing for this, turns into, I can't take it with the name calling...who is the one crying?????????? NO FURTHER COMMENT FROM ME, BOOHOO!!!!!!!! All of the sudden it is, I LIVE IN AMERICA and it is a free country, so don't make fun of me! WHAAAA!!!

Yes, I will take it personal, and defend myself because it is my passion/profession, if it weren't I would not be teaching!

Go, live in your uneducated/ignorant bliss!!!!!!!!!!!

LeAnn said...

P.S.

I'm glad you can admit that you are uneducated, it seems like that is the only fact that you can get straight!

collette said...

Um... WHAT TEACHER MAKES 60K??? My husband doesn't even make HALF that! And no... he doesn't just work 9 months out of the year! Most days he's at work 10+ hours a day, and ALWAYS has work to do on the weekends, on holidays, and in the evenings. Plus, he has basketball ALL throughout the summertime, so no... it's a FULL YEAR JOB! And he often has to use his OWN MEASLY SALARY to buy supplies and items for his classroom. If I were to divide his salary by the number of hours he puts in, he would surely be miminum wage or LOWER!