Saturday, January 30, 2010

question of the day

This is a buffet I inherited from my Grandma and Grandpa.
{I used to have the matching dining room table until Luvpilot's dog chewed the ornately carved leg up. I'm still bitter about that.}



Right now it sits in my front room. I love it.
My question is, would you keep it as is, with all it's flaws?
Or would you paint it?


Funny story - my Grandpa's social security number is actually carved into the side. I guess he thought that if someone broke into their house and stole it, (you know because it's so easy and light to carry), the police would be able to get it back to him that way. I still remember when he did it. I think I was about 12.

31 comments:

Shauna said...

I love it the way it is~! Keeping it like that would remind me of my grandpa! ;)

Connie said...

Paint It! You will be so glad you did. My daughter lived with one like yours for about a year, never really liking it. She took the plunge and painted it a light buttery yellow and then rubbed a dark brown stain ever so lightly overall and it turned out BEAUTIFUL! Her only regret was that she lived with it for a whole year not liking it. Such a waste of time to live with something you don't love. Long story short, PAINT IT! Just my opinion.

Jamie said...

If you question it at all paint it:)It is a beautiful peice as is though. I am no help at all......

onehm said...

I love things with flaws...it means they had a life before me. :)
But that said, I also ADORE painting something and making it completely new! It can add so much.
This blog is very inspiring:
http://www.inthefunlane.com/
check it out!

Justin said...

I remember Grandpa put his SSN on everything!

Including the fridge and stove.

Unknown said...

I would put a piece of duct tape over the little patch where your grandfather carved his SSN, and leave it unpainted. Then paint the rest of it. What a beautiful piece of furniture!

Wonder Woman said...

It's gorgeous, but I'd paint it.

Kristina P. said...

Hmmmm, tough call. I would probably try to clean it up a bit, but keep it the way it is.

Devri said...

I really like DeNaes Idea.. I'd do that one.. priceless!

Pedaling said...

i too, like DeNaes idea.

i've seen wonderful pieces painted and renewed....renewed even with an antique-y kind of feel!

Maria said...

Leave it. I think you would be happier remembering how it's always been myself.

Linda said...

I'd leave it but you can always just have the stain redone to bring some life to it if that's what you're looking for. I've had a few pieces of old furniture redone. These older pieces of furniture are worth saving. You can't find dove tailed craftmanship or heavy pieces like this anymore. You have a treasure there!

Krissa said...

I agree with DaNae...and then I would paint it...I can totally see it in a cream color and then antiqued...but its oh so loveley!!! dont you love getting things from family...pieces you will always remember

tiki_lady said...

I LOVE IT!! and I would definitely paint it! I would paint it in a antique cream and do a light stain rub over the top and distress the edges with a burnt umber or something.
THINK of shabby CHIC, however, if that isn't your style. (which I love the look, its just not my house style) then I would either paint it or strip it completely and send it out to a professional to stain it a darker color.

kado! said...

I've seen some pretty cool paint transformations...so I think you should do that...but I agree don't paint over the SSN# ...that is a great story!

Heather said...

My little sister took my mom's old furniture - same color and they painted it black and it looks new and beautiful

Rainy Day Farm said...

If you like it, leave it. If you don't like it paint it and put some updated handles on it! Love that your Grandpa put his SS number on it! Too funny!

Mama's Makin's said...

I Think the SS# thing is Halarious. I have wanted to make nice little plaques for my mom to put on the back of some of the furniture we have with who's it was and the date etc. Since we have quite a few family pieces. Some my Grandmothers, even her mothers. . .

I say keep it (unless it bugs you of course) It will be right back in style in 10 years or so - and whatever you paint it - will be out in 10 years or so :)

I say it is a family treasure!

Lene said...

That is a real tough one. I love the look of painted furniture, but the sentimental value of leaving it as is might make me leave it the way it is.

CB said...

As a lover of antiques and family heirlooms I would say keep it as is - if anything just refinish it.

Vanessa said...

Paint it...RED!

Luvpilot said...

I'd say leave it alone :). And the dog was hungry

donna said...

keep with all it's flaws. : )

Mikki said...

I think I'd leave it, flaws and all. Character!
Are you happy when you look at it? Or do you look at it, and think, hmmmm I wish it looked a little different?

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I would keep it! The wood is pretty.

Liz said...

I say keep it the way it is.. Then you can't say you will ever regret it if you do paint it.. wishing it were back to Original! Plus I love having stuff that is passed on. I love the SS # story

kado! said...

hey..how funny...Tip Junkie has a Monday Makeover Furniture addition! maybe that will inspire you as to what you want to do!!! ;)

Sue said...

Wow..lots of opinions!!

here's a thought. Paint it, but before you do take a picture of it,(even the ss #,) and put the picture on top of the buffet with a pic. of your g-pa..

mCat said...

Keep as it! You will one day want those memories of it exactly like it is!

I am ticked that we got rid of my old footboard that Tuffy carved his name into. With his EYE TOOTH! No joke.

Missy said...

Keep it like it is! It tells such a story! Beautiful!

tiburon said...

I would leave it alone.

But I am lazy - and know zero about decorating. And those two things might have shaped my opinion.