Thursday, September 16, 2010

more evidence that i am a mother hen



I am the biggest mother hen.

I hate my boys to be gone for too long from me. 
If they sleep at Grammy's, I miss them.
If I go away without them, I miss them.
And when they're gone, they're on my mind.
Friday night dates?  I want them to go with us. 
If Luvpilot and I go out without them, we talk about them. 
I must have my family around me.

So....

Taylor (14 years old) has a field trip coming up with his school.
It's an overnighter.
To the Grand Canyon.
On a dry river run.
Without me.

Can I do it?
Can I let him go without secretly following behind?
Granted, it's a small charter school, with probably less than 50 people going,
but he's still my baby. 
And I'll still worry.

Would you, could you do it?

I know I'll have to let them go someday, but it doesn't mean it has to start now.

**edited to add - I'm not sure they're having parent volunteers, and even if they do, with Luvpilot's schedule I probably wouldn't be able to go.

24 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

Couldn't you volunteer to be a parent helper? ;-)

Missy said...

I am no help here! I would be apprehensive as well. I have major problems with my stepsons living in the dorms...

The Heaps said...

Ooooh that's a tough one! I agree with imbeingheldhostage...be a parent volunteer.

Mama's Makin's said...

Yes Tammy you can do it. :) But the good news is that you married the perfect hubby for this "condition" because even when they do "fly the nest" you can fly up to college and to their new homes where ever they may be when ever you desire. . . the real problem? THE MISSION! Luvpilot or not, you don't get to go there.

DID I just send you into a panic attack! :) Shoot I shouldn't have said that one. where is that back space button on my mac! :)

I am bummed cause I thought you were putting out a BP that you wanted babies to hold. UM cause you can come over and borrow mine if he ever comes out! ;) In fact please do I get SOOOO bored after the baby is born. I usually go shopping on day 3 of having a baby. :)

Jamie said...

I am no help. I have alway been too independent and think I am sending too much of that message to my kids. I sent C-Dog down the Grand Canyon to Havasupi and didn't think twice, he is ten. I also knew he was in good hands. School outing though might scare me more. You know the adult to kid ratio no matter what their age. He'd have fun...

See, no help at all!

Just SO said...

I'm kind of like Diaper Diva on this one. My 15 year old went on a week long canoeing trip to Lake Powell. I've sent my three oldest off for week long summer camps when they hit 5th grade. I'm sure he'll be fine. You, on the other hand.... ;) Good luck.

Mindi said...

um, i have NO problem letting my kids go. (without even thinking another minute about it for the ENTIRE WEEK THEY COULD BE GONE. ALLEGEDLY. TO EFY....)

sometimes it makes me feel guilty for not being a better mom.

but you need to let them have their independence, mother hen--you don't want them to be the 19 year old who's mother accompanies them on the mission :)

(could it be possible? you should look into it!)

Martha H. said...

You can do it!

Pedaling said...

Your picture is cracking me up.
I can relate to this some---but, not the bringing them on dates part. I have no problem leaving my kids behind on date night with big daddy!

Crazymamaof6 said...

I'm totally the same way with my kiddies. i don't like them to sleep over. on dates we talk about funny things they say and do. and i always go on field trips.

they make me crazy, but i miss them and worry ALL THE TIME too. maybe that's why i'm so crazy.

you can do it. sure you will worry. and you might over pack for him. (i always do, JUST IN CASE) but he'll do great. good luck though. ;)

donna said...

He is going go have so much fun. When i was 14 my school class went to the Grand Canyon . We stayed over night. LOVED it.

mCat said...

I love that picture!
I'll confess, when the kids were babies, then I thought about them all the time and they came with us EVERYWHERE.
They hit their early teens and I couldn't kick them out the door fast enough. It seems like the more time they spent doing things independantly, the more confidence they grew for themselves.

Now, we've come full circle. I like to hang out with them again. : )

Jane said...

I am with you 100%, I hope I can outgrow it someday as they grow up and move out.

brandy said...

Oh, I'm the wrong person to ask. I feel the same you do when it comes to my children. I don't think I could let him go. Can you be the crazy stalker mom who hides in the bushes? Just an idea.

No, you probably should let him go (but you don't have to like) and let him create some fun memories.

Just in case...I'm sure Dick's Sporting Good store sells a camouflage body suit? You might want to check that out!

Vanessa said...

It's all making sense to me now....

CB said...

You are such a good Mama!
It is really hard to let them go - I can remember shedding tears. But you can do it - it gets easier which in no way means that you love them less but rather that you love them enough to let them fly!

Mikki said...

You are a terrific mom! It's a tough one. I know right now, at age eleven, I'd have a problem letting my eldest go away on a trip like that. But, if I was pretty confident with her teachers, I might be able to allow it. GOod luck!

Teachinfourth said...

Keep yourself busy while he's gone so that you won't worry as much...

Jenny said...

I want to send you a invite to read my blog. since I am going private. Let me know by e-mailing me at simplyafamily@live.com.

Heather said...

I worry about the exact same things and I have no good answer about letting them leave - it is so hard!!!

Anonymous said...

That is tough! I do know how you feel. I don't know what to tell you, sorry.
What school does he go to?

Sue said...

You CAN do it...(but it won't be easy)

I was a worry finatic when my sons were younger.

Now I worry about different things.

We are moms. I think we worry about stuff until we are dead.
sorry!

Lisa Loo said...

I am right there with you babe! But luckily my son was in no hurry to be independent so I had a chance to breathe a little before letting him go. Then his Dad went with him on all away trips. He is almost 15 and this summer was the first time he went to scout camp by himself and we all survived! UGH!! I am such weak sauce. I LIKE my kids! We have our moments but I like having them around---AND I am huge into safety. No one looks after my child like I do. Does he want to go? Does that make sense? Sorry to take over your comment section--

Lisa Loo said...

Oh dear, I just read my comment--I am not EVEN thinking I am the perfect parent--exactly the opposite--I'm sure that letting go with grace and faith is a much better option....