Tuesday, August 10, 2010
question of the day
When do you make your kids do their homework?
Right after school?
After dinner?
Whenever they decide?
Me?
My kids come home tired, hungry, and needing a break.
So I let them unwind, tell me about their day, play, or just hang out for a little while.
Homework usually comes right after dinner for us.
Also,
do you think your kids have too much homework or just about right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



29 comments:
hmmm. Since Mia is in Kinger - I think she has too much homework - just cause I don't think I ever had any :) But really it's just a couple of flash cards and working on her name. Right now - we don't have a routine as to when we do it - depends on my mood AND hers :)
As a kid I always just did it. Mom NEVER told me when to do it. I think it sooo depends on the kid. I am so afraid that i will have to FIGHT Mia to do hers. I already do a little :) SHe works better with her dad - but he isn't home early enough most days. :(
McCoy has started 6th grade and the homework is triple what he is accustomed to! We are already struggling. We done some as soon as he gets home, some before bed, and some in the morning before leaving! I save spelling for in the morning...
I am like you, my kiddos need a break when they get home. We always have a snack first thing and chat about their day, then work on homework before dinner. If they still have some to work on they finish after dinner.
I think my son had the right amount of homework, and my daughter didn't have enough. She didn't have the greatest teacher as far a getting them ahead. I feel she is behind,so I have been a mean mom and made them do school work during the summer.
I let mine unwind too. He usually does his after dinner also.
I don't think school work should be brought home period!
I'm with you. I think they should have a chance to unwind a little. Right after dinner for me.
Consistency.
Whatever time that is, consistency worked the best for us.
Now.........empty house. No homeworkers.
Sigh.
Kelly's at the kind of school where she hasn't had much homework but this cming year as she moves up to a higher class she will have more this coming year. So we'll see how it goes.
xo
Not a fan of homework, Period! I let them snack and then get right to it. Hate it, want it over with. I use it as a tool to earn fun stuff the rest of the day. Got to make it work for me somehow. I am still at the stage in life where it should be called Mom work. I have enough of that last time I checked.
I usually give my kids a little breather but they have sports in the evenings so homework must be done afterschool or it doesn't happen.
It depends on the teacher. My youngest in elementary school had WAY to much homework last year - some of it was "parent homework" and I am NOT on board with that!!
I don't like so many home projects.
School hasn't started just yet for us but in the past I think they have had WAY too much!! Preston usually ends up in tears over the amounts he has (3 or 4 pages) and Emily gets frustrated with one assignment per class (last yr she had six classes). It's overwhelming to come home from school and have another hour or more of schoolwork.
I always gave them one hour to unwind, eat, watch t.v., do whatever and then it was time for homework, they usually finished just in time for dinner. I tell ya, I am not looking forward to that routine again, everyone seemed extra cranky last school year.
I am probably biased since I am a teacher; however, I would say to take a break for maybe an hour and then get it out of the way…
But that's just me.
We kind of waver between making them just get it out of the way as soon as they get home, and letting them have a little break.
I think that this past year, it wasn't too bad. Ashley starts middle school this year, so I'm kind of concerned that it may become too much.
I know that many make their children do their home work as soon as they get home. I am like you they have been conforming to a classroom routine all day. I give my some freedom, to snack, play wii and even watch tv. Then we have a set time that we start dinner, I have the younger 2 come in the kitchen and sit at the counter to work on home work as I cook. I have had children in the past bring a chair into my kitchen while I cook and read out loud to me, spell out their spelling words to me or just review an assignment. We eat, then finish up before starting our bed time routine. I do think that some teachers give way to much home work. I have made mention to some teachers before at how long it is taking. The rule of thumb is any longer than an hour for elementary school is to much home and the teacher needs to be made aware. Many times they are not aware that they have given to much. My girls are good students so I never feel bad about going in to make a teacher aware. Jr. High and High school, well we know it is a given that there is going to be more than an hours worth of homework. We just adjust the bed time for that age group.
I know I have written a book now! But personally I think we sometimes as parents put undue stress on ourselves over this topic. As mom's relax, can't get the home work done. Life won't end!
after dinner for us- right around 7:00.
so far, each year has been the right amount of homework.
homework...what is homework? Oh sorry we are not back to school yet so I am still blocking all that out....
lol...soon as they get home.
Since I worked every day, they usually did it after dinner. But, for the record, my kids never had much. I couldn't quite figure that out. Which is prolly a good idea, since I suck at making them do stuff like that.
Did I mention that I am GIDDY cause I don't have to do school this year with anyone? GIDDY I say!~
i give them an hour of free time. Then it is homework time...
I don't have any kids, but I can tell you how it went down when I was growing up: we had to do it right after school. Then, our evenings were free to do with as we pleased. It didn't bother me, and I liked getting it out of the way. I followed the same rule in college and always had plenty of time for fun.
I always did let the kids unwind for a bit then they started on the homework, which always seemed like waaayyy too much if you ask me!
I need to be more like you and allow a cool down time - and why are we talking about homework already? Yuck!
summer rules!
My kids kind of got to select the time that worked right for them. I had one who love to go to bed early and do his homework at 5am. Thank goodness he didn't need any supervising!
Kristin
Totally late coming into this one, lol but I did read it when it was posted. We usually have them come home have a snack and chat about the day then they can do their chores in any order they want, homework is part of those chores. If they don't do it before dinner it won't get done in this house.
Gavin's in Kindergarten so he doesn't have much but I say let them unwind for a bit.
My kiddos do their homework right after they get home. It's a routine they started themselves. I don't even have to remind them. I think they just want to get it all done so they don't have to think about it.
As for too much? The only one that has too much is LaLa. Why is she doing homework in Kinder? Thankfully they don't send homework for Ham to do.
I was for asking them what they wanted..
They were all different..
We don't have homework. Well, the older one does sometimes, but he usually finishes it on the bus before he gets home. And we NEVER see completed work until the end of the year when it all comes home in massive carrier bags.
I know, go figure. About the time you discover your kid can't spell or write legibly, it's too late, he's moved up another year.
i make my kids do their homework AS SOON AS THEY GET HOME from SCHOOL... when their brains are still working.
after they have a snack... its like thier brains shut down.
so... first homework.. then snack... :)
that is what works best in my little house ;)
I just can't believe your kids are back in school already. Isn't it still summer!
...and since my kids have a 20 min bus ride with their friends, I figure they have had a chance to unwind a bit - if I let them unwind too much, it's difficult to get them focused again. So I say, don't procrastinate, and then it's out of the way and the evening is free.
Post a Comment